Okay. Confession time. I hardly ever make pancakes for breakfast. Whenever I’m craving a sweet breakfast, we always make our family-favourite Fluffiest Waffles. Because they’re just so darn fluffy and delicious!
But, sometimes you gotta break out of your box. And pancakes deserve some love too! Especially because pancakes are so easily stuffed with deliciousness like shaved almonds and sweet tart cranberries, which really ups the yum factor.
I’d say Almond Cranberry Whole Wheat Pancakes have a yum factor of 10.
AND they’re healthier than your average pancake from 100% whole wheat flour.
They come together easily – whisk together the wet ingredients, then whisk together your dry ingredients, and gently fold together. Make sure the ingredients are just moistened – those lumps and pockets of flour will create a fluffy and light pancake.
The other secret is to drop batter onto a medium-hot greased griddle (or frying pan) and cook for just 2-3 minutes, until bubbles form, flip, and then cook another 1-2 minutes. Overdone pancakes are not fun for anyone!
Slivered almonds provide a satisfying crunch, and the cranberries are soft pockets of flavour. Douse a stack of these Almond Cranberry Whole Wheat Pancakes with real maple syrup, sprinkle a few more slivered almonds, and you have yourself a perfect Saturday morning breakfast.
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- handful slivered almonds (toasted, optional)
- handful dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in all wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in almonds and cranberries.
- On a lightly greased griddle or frying pan, pour approx ¼ batter for each pancake, spreading batter to flatten.
- Cook for approx 2 minutes, until bubbles form and edges are slightly dry; flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Top with more slivered almonds, butter, and maple syrup.
Pin this recipe for later!