Brunch is absolutely my favourite meal. It’s a meal of the weekend (which is a good thing on its own), allowing you to sleep in and slowly ease into the day. I love cooking brunch at home, in pajamas and slippers, with our cat rubbing against my legs. Brunch allows sweet and savory options – it is perfectly acceptable to eat both waffles and salad, and a coffee and a mimosa all at the same time.
Grilled Cheese and Egg Sandwiches are a quintessential brunch food: a sandwich (lunch) combined with scrambled eggs (breakfast). My fluffiest scrambled eggs are smothered with melty mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheeses, nestled between two slices of buttery toasted bread. I’ve sprinkled a few chopped chives from our garden on top of the eggs, but this is entirely optional.
You might serve Grilled Cheese and Egg Sandwiches alongside some fresh greens (lunch) or a few links of sausage of bacon (breakfast). Here I’ve just eaten it straight up!!
- nub of butter
- 1 serving fluffy scrambled eggs
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter. To assemble sandwiches, lay mozzarella cheese slices on top of one bread slice, then scrambled eggs, then cheddar cheese slices, then top with the other bread slice. Carefully transfer sandwich into the pan.
- Grill on both sides until golden. Carefully remove from pan and cut in half.