Here we have a perfect marriage of two of my favourite foods: eggs and avocados. My love of avocados runs deep; I can easily devour a whole avocado every day, slicing half on toast and half on a salad later in the day. My husband gives me such a hard time about all of the avocados I eat 😉 (Can’t stop, won’t stop!)
Avocado toast is the perfect avocado vessel for fanatics like me. (Psst, for some fun reading, check out How the Internet became ridiculously obsessed with avocado toast and My fruitful search for the origins of avocado toast.)
And I leave you with a morning hack – make multiple hard boiled eggs at the beginning of the week and store them in the fridge for quick breakfasts (or lunch salads!) throughout your busy week. Anything to make mornings easier!
- 1 egg
- half an avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 piece whole wheat bread
- salt and pepper, to garnish
- red pepper flakes, to garnish
- First, make the hardboiled egg: Put egg in a pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then shut off heat, cover pot, and remove from heat. Let pot sit, covered, for 8 minutes. Scoop out egg with a slotted spoon and either dunk in an ice bath or run under cold water for a few minutes. Peel shell and slice into rounds.
- To assemble toast: Toast bread. Smash avocado slices onto the toast with a fork. Arrange slices of hard boiled egg on top and sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
- smear a soft cheese like goat or ricotta underneath the avocado
- drizzle avocado with lemon juice
- top with bacon bits
- garnish with a shake of garam masala
- sprinkle with sesame seeds
- sprinkle with toasted almond slivers
- add chopped scallions or chives