Have you ever made homemade granola? It’s the best thing ever. I used to spend lots of $$$ on store-bought granola, even occasionally buying the super fancy granola from specialty cafes. There was a while when I ate yogurt+granola for breakfast every day, so my granola consumption was HIGH.
Then I realised – why can’t I make this? Granola is just oats, right? Pretty much. Oats, coconut, some spices, and a few liquids to hold everything together. My favourite granola recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s cookbook (original recipe is re-printed here).
It has been cooooold these recent mornings! Have you noticed? We’re down to just about freezing in the wee hours, and I have to say, I’m loving it. This morning I snapped some photos of the ice crystals on our herb garden – so beautiful!
To celebrate the cold weather, and the upcoming holidays (okay – by J’s standards, I can’t officially start celebrating until Dec 1), I flavoured this batch of granola like gingerbread – with cinnamon, ginger, a pinch of cloves, and molasses. Holiday Gingerbread Granola tastes like you’re eating gingerbread for breakfast – but healthier.
I like using an egg white in my granola – it helps to create big granola clusters, but it’s not essential if you’d rather leave it out to make this recipe vegan. Also, I’ve used walnuts and craisens to flavour my granola, but feel free to use your favourite nuts/dried fruit.
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or more if you prefer a sweeter granola!)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- pinch cloves
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the egg white. Mix well.
- Lightly whisk the egg white in a small bowl and then add, mixing to ensure it's thoroughly incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the granola onto the baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and carefully flip granola over. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once the granola has cooled, break up granola and sprinkle in dried cranberries.
- Holiday Gingerbread Granola lasts in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.