These Quick Orange Date Blender Muffins are my absolute go-to muffin recipe. They are so simple to throw together – the orange (with peel on!) and orange juice get mixed in your blender, then blended with the egg and butter. The few dry ingredients are mixed in a large bowl, the wet ingredients are added and quickly stirred, and BANG you have muffins!
Dates add a pleasing sweetness to the tangy orange – if you don’t have dates on hand, then I’ve made this recipe many times with dried cranberries instead.
I like to bake a batch of muffins and then freeze them in a large ziploc bag – that way, you can pull one out in the morning, zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds, and you still have that freshly-baked flavour! Or, stash one in your purse, and by the time you get to work, it will be thawed.
I am in the heart of Christmas party season right now – last night we attended our first, tomorrow is our second, and then we have two next week as well! And that is on top of all the family Christmas stuff that is planned. What a crazy month! I’m going to make it my resolution to have a festive party in January or February – let’s spread the fun out a little, people!!
- 1 orange, quartered and seeds removed (peel on)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup melted butter, cooled
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup white sugar (I normally just use ½ cup or a bit less)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped dates (I used Medjool)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Blend orange and orange juice in blender until smooth. Then blend in melted butter and egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all remaining dry ingredients together, then add the blended wet mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Drop into greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling each ¾ full.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.