Just look at that #yolkporn.
Why is the internet obsessed with runny yolks? I have to be honest and say that I don’t love a runny yolk. Does that make me a bad breakfast blogger?! 😉 There are just times when I’d rather my eggs be poached or fried hard! Or medium-hard. But definitely not soft.
I’m coming around to soft eggs though – I like how a soft egg creates its own sauce, to mop up with bread, or to douse over roasted asparagus and crispy prosciutto, like we have here with this Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto and Fried Eggs recipe.
This is a simple sheet pan breakfast celebrating the Spring flavours of fresh asparagus. Roasted asparagus sprigs are stacked with crispy prosciutto, a soft fried egg, and crumbles of creamy goat cheese and it is the perfect combination of roasty, salty, and creamy.
And mighty tasty.
This Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto and Fried Eggs breakfast comes together quickly on a sheet pan – easy peasy!
Trim the asparagus, drizzle with oil, and then place on a sheet pan into your oven to roast. Halfway through roasting, add the slices of prosciutto to your sheet pan, and return to oven to finish roasting the asparagus and crisping the prosciutto.
Then quickly fry an egg until the whites just set – by the time your egg is ready, your asparagus and prosciutto will be too, and then it’s time to plate that badboy up!
Asparagus + prosciutto + egg + goat cheese = weekend breakfast perfection.
On a personal note, apologies I have been MIA for the last week or so! Life has steamrolled over me lately – in the last week we unexpectedly found the perfect new home to move into – one that will give us more space (an extra bedroom, a huge kitchen, and a real dining room!) and a backyard! Which means we’ve gone from regular summer lounging to anticipating moving at the end of June.
And literally the day after we signed our new lease, J (the hubs) came down with a crazy 24-hour flu, which is still lingering for him, so in between scheduling movers, measuring furniture, and J puking, our household has been in a state of chaos for the last little while!
I’m hoping we’ll get back on track this week!
- olive oil
- 6-8 asparagus stalks
- 2 slices of prosciutto
- 2 eggs
- goat cheese
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash asparagus and trim the bottom woody ends (approx ⅓ of the stalk). Place asparagus stalks on one end of a sheet plan, drizzle with olive oil, and rotate so each stalk is evenly covered. Roast asparagus in the oven for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, remove sheet pan, and add 2 slices of prosciutto to the empty end (alternatively, use another sheet pan). Place sheet pan back into the oven for another 5 mins.
- While you are waiting, fry two eggs until whites are set and yolks are still runny.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and assemble plates. Stack each plate with half the asparagus, then a slice of crispy prosciutto, then a fried egg, then crumbles of goat cheese. Garnish with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.