Let’s talk about savory waffles. Savory waffles get no love. They’re the sad cousin of the sweet waffle, who is attention-seeking with her sweetness and colourful berry garnishes, always drowned in maple syrup or fruit compote.
Savory waffles are subtle and understated. Really, you can eat them anywhere you’d eat a piece of toast – and I would suggest that they are even tastier than a piece of toast because you can easily customize their flavour.
Here I’ve made Savory Ricotta Chive Waffles – the outsides are crisp while the insides are soft and fluffy, flavoured with a gentle tang of ricotta and burst of oniony chives.
(Psst, the secret to the fluffiest waffles is separating the egg and whisking your egg whites!)
I served savory waffles alongside Fluffiest Scrambled Eggs and strips of local smoked bacon. And a milky latte, of course.
This breakfast fueled J and I to do many necessary weekend errands (grocery shopping, cleaning the house 🙁 ) and kept us full until it was time to prep dinner. That’s my kind of weekend breakfast.
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ¾ cup milk (I use 1%)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on high until they form stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the melted butter, milk, ricotta cheese, and chives and beat ingredients together until smooth.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour your waffle batter into your waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Recipe yields approx 12 mini waffles (or 6 full-size waffles), serving approx 2 people.