Where’s the heart-eyes emoji when you need it?! Are these heart-shaped Strawberry Breakfast Pastries not the cutest thing ever??
It’s just over a week until Valentine’s Day and I love any excuse to celebrate love! (And with the world in the crazy state that it is, we could all use a little more love.)
J and I don’t make a fuss for Valentine’s Day, but we do always make a delicious dinner together and pop open a nice bottle of wine. I also love to make a heart-shaped celebratory breakfast. Last year I made heart-shaped Lemon Ricotta pancakes, and this year, we’re having these heart-shaped Strawberry Breakfast Pastries.
These pastries come together with only 5 ingredients, and are simplified with the use of puff pastry. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t often use puff pastry because I prefer to make my own pastry dough with whole ingredients, but sometimes for ease (and especially when you’re surprising your love with breakfast in bed) it’s just a better option! I recommend choosing an all-butter puff pastry.
I’ve cut my pastries into heart shapes to celebrate Valentine’s Day, but if you’re not fussy, use squares or circles, or just use a knife to cut the dough into whatever shape you choose.
How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day?
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- confectioner's sugar, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- According to your puff pastry package directions, unfold the sheet of puff pastry. It may need to be dusted with flour and rolled with a rolling pin for smoothness. (Or, roll out puff pastry to a large rectangle, depending on the type you purchase.)
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 6 hearts from the pastry. (Alternatively, using a knife, cut 6 rectangles.)
- Transfer cut pastries to a baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Using a dull knife, score a border ½ inch from the edges (do not cut all the way through the dough). Prick the centre of the dough all over with a fork. Set baking sheet in the fridge to keep cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and strawberry jam.
- In another small bowl prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water.
- Remove baking sheet from fridge and dollop each pastry with a spoonful of jam-cream cheese mixture. Spread it within the scored area. Arrange slices of strawberries over top. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake pastries for 15-17 minutes, or until edges are puffed and golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Serve warm.
For more information on how to use puff pastry, go here.
Recipe adapted from Just a Taste.
Pin this recipe for later!