Where’s the heart-eyes emoji when you need it?! Are these heart-shaped Strawberry Breakfast Pastries not the cutest thing ever??
It’s just over a week until Valentine’s Day and I love any excuse to celebrate love! (And with the world in the crazy state that it is, we could all use a little more love.)
J and I don’t make a fuss for Valentine’s Day, but we do always make a delicious dinner together and pop open a nice bottle of wine. I also love to make a heart-shaped celebratory breakfast. Last year I made heart-shaped Lemon Ricotta pancakes, and this year, we’re having these heart-shaped Strawberry Breakfast Pastries.
These pastries come together with only 5 ingredients, and are simplified with the use of puff pastry. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t often use puff pastry because I prefer to make my own pastry dough with whole ingredients, but sometimes for ease (and especially when you’re surprising your love with breakfast in bed) it’s just a better option! I recommend choosing an all-butter puff pastry.
I’ve cut my pastries into heart shapes to celebrate Valentine’s Day, but if you’re not fussy, use squares or circles, or just use a knife to cut the dough into whatever shape you choose.
How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day?
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- confectioner's sugar, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- According to your puff pastry package directions, unfold the sheet of puff pastry. It may need to be dusted with flour and rolled with a rolling pin for smoothness. (Or, roll out puff pastry to a large rectangle, depending on the type you purchase.)
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 6 hearts from the pastry. (Alternatively, using a knife, cut 6 rectangles.)
- Transfer cut pastries to a baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Using a dull knife, score a border 1/2 inch from the edges (do not cut all the way through the dough). Prick the centre of the dough all over with a fork. Set baking sheet in the fridge to keep cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and strawberry jam.
- In another small bowl prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water.
- Remove baking sheet from fridge and dollop each pastry with a spoonful of jam-cream cheese mixture. Spread it within the scored area. Arrange slices of strawberries over top. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake pastries for 15-17 minutes, or until edges are puffed and golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Serve warm.
Thaw puff pastry in the fridge overnight before you make this recipe.
For more information on how to use puff pastry, go here.
Recipe adapted from Just a Taste.