Soo, confession: I ate half of this Whole Wheat Apple Spice Bread loaf before I took the photographs for this blog post. Whoops. I can never resist a warm, moist, spiced loaf that’s calling my name…
Forgive me – this loaf is irresistible!
Apple cinnamon is one of my favorite flavor combinations ever (I lovelovelove apple pie) – so Apple Spice Bread was a no brainer for me. It’s quick to throw together, and using all whole wheat flour ups the healthy-factor for breakfast!
I’ve followed the same basic recipe as my favorite Whole Wheat Banana Bread – but have substituted apple sauce for the mashed bananas, and folded in finely chopped apple pieces. Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg sweetly spice the loaf, and a few more apple pieces are sprinkled on top for good measure.
This Apple Spice Bread would be the ultimate Fall breakfast during apple season – right now it’s just helping me get through the end of Winter as I slog through this endless rain. (I live in what feels like the rain capital of the world sometimes.)
Eat a slice of warm Whole Wheat Apple Spice Bread slathered with organic butter, sip your milky latte, stare out at the rain and say with me, “I can do this.”
It’s almost Spring!
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons 1% milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar together. Add in the eggs and whisk until combined. Stir in vanilla, apple sauce, milk, and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. Gently fold in half the chopped apples.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining chopped apples on top. Gently press apples into the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in the pan for approx 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
For another whole wheat breakfast loaf, try Whole Wheat Banana Bread!